The San Francisco Bay Area Chamber Choir
“The incomparable sound of many voices unified in tone and spirit”
SFBACC was founded in 1978 and sings under the direction of Scot Hanna-Weir, who was named the choir’s interim Music Director in March 2021. Since its origin, the choir has been highly acclaimed for its sensitive and exciting performances of extremely varied and demanding literature.
As part of SFBACC’s series of workshops, we’re happy to announce that James Toland, renowned vocal coach, is going to lead our next session.
This workshop will focus on many aspects of proper singing and understanding of the singer’s instrument. Some of the topics included will be:
- Onset and release
- Quiet, relaxed breathing
- Warm-up exercises focusing on vowel formation
- Warm-up exercises focusing on voiced and unvoiced consonants
- Understanding the relationship between consonants and vowels
- Proper approach and formation that leads to easier and more beautiful sound and breathing
- Steps for learning music
- Practice techniques to better ingrain concepts and ideas
The workshop will be presented as an expanded voice lesson with participation by selected singers and volunteers to help demonstrate the concepts and principals that discussed. A Q&A section will be interwoven throughout the workshop so Jim can address problems and questions from individual singers, both in-person and via Zoom.
Get SFBACC Concert and Event Announcements
Want to receive advance information about our concerts, including news about dates, times, venues, and tickets? Sign up here and you won’t miss out.